We have all the pre-match preamble you need ahead of a highly important Derby della Capitale meeting between Roma and Lazio on Sunday (kick-off: 18:00 CET).
League position: 6th
Head coach: Maurizio Sarri
Serie A top-scorer: Ciro Immobile (21)
ROMA: W W W D D
LAZIO: D D L W W
The Giallorossi are now seven games unbeaten after securing late safe passage to the Europa Conference League quarter-finals in midweek and it’s been eight Serie A matches since they last lost.
That recent run has put them firmly in the European hunt, sitting sixth going into the weekend and Jose Mourinho’s side have the chance to retake fifth if they take all three points in the derby.
As for the other side from the capital, Lazio secured a second successive league win to move into fifth by narrowly beating lowly Venezia on Monday.
Attacking midfielder Mattia Zaccagni is the only absentee for Sarri’s team after collecting a fifth yellow card of the season against Venezia, which means that former Roma player Pedro could start.
Possible Lazio line-up
Strakosha; Patric, Luiz Felipe, Acerbi, Hysaj; Luis Alberto, Leiva, Milinkovic-Savic; Felipe Anderson, Immobile, Pedro
The Lazio skipper has been imperious this season and already has 21 league goals to his name.
Thanks to those strikes, Immobile is now 15th on the list of all-time top scorers in Serie A.
He’s scored in each of Lazio’s last two games and found the back of the net in eight of his last nine outings in the top-flight.
Immobile has contributed 36 percent of his side’s league goals, highlighting their over reliance on the 32-year-old.
Roma are unbeaten as the nominal Derby della Capitale hosts in league meetings since April 2017 (W3, D1), and are looking for successive clean sheets as the home team for the first time since 2011.
The Giallorossi’s eight-game unbeaten run in Serie A (W4, D4) is their longest such run in a single season since ending the 2018-19 campaign on a nine run sequence without losing.
They may have won the reverse 3-2 but you have to go back to 2012 to find the last time Lazio claimed successive victories over Roma.
From 155 previous Serie A meetings between these two great rivals, Roma hold the historical advantage with 55 wins to Lazio’s 40, while there have been a further 80 draws.
- Jordan Veretout has been involved in five Serie A goals against Lazio (four goals, one assist), which is his best return against any single opponent in his career.
- Tammy Abraham has now scored 21 goals in all competitions this season and the Englishman has found the back of the net in three of Roma’s last five matches.
- Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has played a part in more Italian top-flight goals (17) this term than any other midfielder (eight goals, nine assists).
- Immobile has scored four times in league derbies against Roma, but it’s Francesco Totti who sits top of the pile in this fixture’s list of all-time top scorers with 11 goals.
WHAT THEY SAID
“Derby? This week the tension level will be high, but the important thing is to remain clear-headed, without having too much pressure. In my opinion both fans give too much importance to this match. I understand everything, but the priority is to do well in a season, not a single game. Obviously we'll do everything to win it though."
- Lazio coach Maurizio Sarri on the derby